2015 Sod Producers’ annual survey examines inventory and price
Clint Waltz, UGA Turf Specialist
In November 2014, the Georgia Urban Ag Council conducted their 21st consecutive survey of sod producers. The purpose of the survey was to determine inventory levels and projected price changes for spring 2015. The following is a survey overview. You can find the complete survey online here.
- Supply of warm-season turfgrasses is low, regardless of turfgrass or grower type.
- The delivered price for all grasses is expected to increase.
- Grass prices are at historic levels.
- 2015 continues an eight year trend of increasing average prices for certified grass.
- Freight rates per mile shipped to Atlanta, or within 100 miles of the farm, will increase.
- Growers that report adding a fuel surcharge nearly doubled from 2014.
- No grower expects to remove acres from turfgrass production.
- More turfgrass acreage will come into production in 2015.
- Get price quotes regularly.
- If possible “book” or lock prices to ensure availability and price.
For more information: