According to a survey sponsored by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2009, 32% of the Hispanics surveyed reported on-the-job injuries. Landscape work involves dangerous and loud equipment, pesticide handling, and potentially close contact with harmful plants and animals. Many new workers are hired during peek season, causing safety-training needs to overlap with the greatest workload.
￼￼￼A three-part training covering general precautions, equipment safety and pesticide safety was developed. From 2010-2014, 1,923 landscape workers received 7,867 contact hours of safety training in either English or Spanish. Working directly with business owners, trainings were arranged on-location in company facilities before the crews left for the day. On average, knowledge evaluation scores increased by 22%.
Value was built into the trainings because companies allowed employees to take them during working hours and paid them to take the training. Certificates of participation were given after the three parts of the training were completed.
The trainings are important to help companies develop a culture of safety. Support for and interest in the trainings is strong; 9 out of 10 foremen interviewed would recommend repeating the training and many indicated they would like to have it more than once a year. The training continues with the online certificate safety-training course below.
Safety Makes Sense
Safety Makes Sense Online Training is designed to help your landscape crews become safer and more efficient in the workplace. This training is available at no charge.
Five steps must be completed under the supervision of the crew supervisor to receive a certificate of completion from the Georgia Center for Urban Agriculture. The video and study guide can be viewed online and do not need to be printed.
- The supervisor oversees the participants at they watch the video. The video is available in Spanish and English.
- The supervisor leads a group discussion and review using the study guide listed below. The study guide can be projected and the supervisor can use the study guide key to help him/her direct the discussion.
- The supervisor prints the evaluation below for employee and the employee completes it.
- Print the answer key and score the evaluation. Participants scoring 70% or higher will be issued a certificate of completion.
- Fill out participant list below, including your company and supervisor information along with the names of participants who scored 70% or higher.
- Contact us to let us know you’re ready for your certificates.
Certificates of Completion for all passing participants will be emailed to the address given by the supervisor.
This training course is also available in Spanish
These training materials and certificate course are brought to you by the Georgia Center for Urban Agriculture.
This material was produced under grant number SH-19493-09-60-F-13 from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor. It does not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the U.S. Department of Labor, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.
Safety Videos in English
Vídeos de seguridad en español
|Welcome to the OSHA “Safety Makes Sense” Online Video Series, presented by the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture. The series is comprised of five short videos, offered in both Spanish and English.||Bienvenido a “La Seguridad Tiene Sentido” vídeos en línea presentados por UGA Centro para la Agricultura Urbana y la Administración de Seguridad y Salud Ocupacional (OSHA). La serie se compone de cinco videos cortos que se ofrecen en Español y Inglés.|
Understand, manage and empower your Spanish speaking employees
- Safety for Hispanic Landscape Workers
- Seguridad para Trabajadores Hispanos de Jardinería
- Safety “Pays” for Hispanic Employees, Company Owners, and Extension Professionals Active in Urban Agriculture Industries
- Reaching the Hispanic “Green Industry” Workforce: Experiences and Practical Tools for Extension Professionals
- SuperCrew Employee Training Videos Online Ordering Site – Ordene los video de entrenamiento para trabajadores “SuperCrew.”