|Information taken from the UGA publication Insecticide Basics for the Pest Management Professionalby Dan Suiter, UGA Department of Entomology, and Michael Scharf, Purdue University Department of EntomologyThe signal word found on every product’s label is based on test results from various oral, dermal, and inhalation toxicity tests, as well skin and eye corrosion assays in some cases. Signal words are placed on labels to convey a level of care that should be taken (especially personal protection) when handling and using a product—i.e., from purchase to disposal of the empty container (Table 1).|
Table 1. Toxicological parameters related to signal words found on EPA-registered pesticide product labels.
|Signal Word on Label||Toxicity Category||Acute-Oral LD50 for Rats||Amount Needed to Kill an Average Sized Adult||Notes|
|Danger-Poison||Highly Toxic||50 or less||Taste to a teaspoon||Skull and Crossbones; Keep out of Reach of Children|
|Warning||Moderately Toxic||50-500||One to six teaspoons||Keep out of Reach of Children|
|Caution||Slightly Toxic||500-5,000||One ounce to a pint||Keep out of Reach of Children|
|Caution||Relatively Non-Toxic||>5,000||Greater than a pint||Keep out of Reach of Children|