Georgia Certified Landscape Professional
Upcoming Certification Testing Dates:
New dates will be posted in early 2016.
What is the Georgia Certified Landscape Professional Program?
The Georgia Certified Landscape Professional (GCLP) program is a voluntary testing program that certifies those in the landscape profession who have mastered a thorough knowledge and understanding of job skills required to be successful in the industry.
The certification test consists of four written components and eight hands-on components. Applicants are provided a 400+ page printed study manual and access to a internet study site developed by the University of Georgia.
The GCLP program is endorsed by the Georgia Green Industry Association, the Georgia Turfgrass Association, the Metro Atlanta Landscape and Turf Association and officially recognizd by the Georgia Department of Agriculture.
Written exam components include:
- A multiple-choice test based on the study manual.
- A plan reading skill test that requires participants to read and interpret a landscape plan, to answer questions pertaining to the plan, and to make calculations, such as square foot areas, plant quantities per area, etc.
- A test on common insect, disease and environmental problems. Participants must identify 25 samples (photos or actual specimens).
- 4. A plant identification test that requires participants to identify fifty plant samples from a list of over 270 provided. Actual samples of trees, shrubs, vines, ground covers, herbaceous perennials, annuals, weeds and turfgrasses will be placed on tables for ID.
Hands-on evaluations include:
- Plan Lay-out: The participant will be given a planting plan and will be required to arrange containerized plants within a given are according to the plan.
- Tree Planting and Staking: The participant must plant a tree according to specifications provided and show how to install a staking system.
- Grading and Drainage: The participant must read a topographical map and demonstrate how to contour the grade of a site in a 10 ft. x 10 ft. sand box.
- Pruning: The participant will show where and how to make pruning cuts and how to prune selected trees and shrubs.
- Sod Installation: The participant must demonstrate the correct technique for laying sod in a given area.
- Irrigation Management: The participant must identify the components of a conventional and low volume landscape irrigation system and demonstrate knowledge of proper operation.
- Pesticide Application: The participant will demonstrate how to mix and apply pesticides properly and will discuss appropriate clothing to wear during pesticide application. He/she must also be prepared to discuss handling and disposal techniques.
- Equipment Operation: The participant will discuss routine maintenance practices and proper operation of power equipment.
The written and hands-on exams are offered at least twice a year.
15 hours of Continuing Education Units are required every three years to maintain certification.
For information about testing dates and locations and testing fees, contact Tami Boyle with the Georgia Center for Urban Agriculture at 770-233-6107; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgia Certified Plant Professional
Upcoming Certification Testing Date:
Thursday, January 28th 1:00 p.m.
At GGIA's WinterGreen Conference, Gwinnett Center
Registration closes January 22nd at 5:00 p.m. To register contact Tami Boyle at email@example.com.
What is the Georgia Certified Plant Professional Program?
The Georgia Certified Plant Professional exam consists of a written exam and a plant identification exam. The written test is based on a study manual available through the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture and features 100 multiple-choice questions. To pass the written exam, you must answer 70 questions correctly. The second portion of the exam is plant identification. You will observe 100 plant specimens from which you must correctly identify 70 specimens. The plant list provided in the manual names all the possible specimens, which might be included in the test.
When Is The Test Given?
The exam is given twice per year.
How Do I Register?
It's easy! Simply complete the Test Application form (Print and Mail) and return it with your payment to the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture at 1109 Experiment St., Griffin, GA 30223
complete an Online Application with a credit card on a secure UGA website.
How Much Does It Cost?
The registration fee of $165 includes a printed study manual and access to online resources. Your manual will be sent to you at the address on your application. Personal checks take about two weeks to clear the banking process; therefore, your shipment will not be mailed until 10 working days have passed. For faster processing please consider our secure website.
How Do I Know If I Passed?
Test results (raw scores) are emailed to you within 10 working days from the test date. Score may also be sent to your employer upon request.
What If I Don't Pass Everything?
If you pass one portion of the exam, you do not have to repeat that portion as long as you attempt to retake the portion you did not pass within one year from the initial test date. You must register to retake the exam. The re-test fee is $45 per attempt.
What If I Can't Take The Test On The Date I Registered?
Just notify Tami Boyle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-233-6107 and we will shift your test date to the next opportunity.
What Do I Need To Bring To The Exam?
You need to bring a clipboard and two #2 pencils. You will be provided with answer sheets. You should dress comfortably and arrive at least 30 minutes before the exam is scheduled to begin.
What is SuperCrew?
The SuperCrew series brings professional training to your location at your convenience. It was developed in cooperation with industry leaders and endorsed by professional organizations.
For your convenience there are two ways to view the material.
- Online viewing, which includes an opportunity to receive a Certificate of Completion after successfully completing the 10 online quizzes -or-
- Purchase of the 10 DVD Training Series without the option for quizzes or a Certificate.