The Georgia Urban Ag Council, a professional organization representing the Georgia landscape industry, is working to find solutions to the issue of equipment theft at worksites, offices, and storage facilities. This week, an incident in Lilburn ended with gun shots fired at landscape employees who discovered perpetrators stealing equipment from the company box truck. The Georgia Urban Ag Council has established a Twitter account titled “GA Landscape Thefts” and is compiling information, articles, and reports from owners and residents experiencing equipment theft. Armed with this data, the UAC hopes to assist law enforcement agencies, equipment manufacturers, and suppliers in determining a course of action to reduce losses.
Here are some general equipment theft prevention strategies to consider:
- Train employees on company procedures to deter equipment theft. In addition, discuss what to do in the event of a theft or robbery.
- Take Inventory: Establish a routine of equipment inventory. Keep documentation and photo records of serial numbers, makes, and models of equipment.
- Parking strategy: Be strategic about where you park your vehicle on each jobsite or lunch destination. Park in well lighted locations visible to the work crew and avoid leaving equipment unattended in back lots or hidden areas that are conducive to theft. Position trailers so they aren’t easily accessed or swapped to another vehicle.
- Deterrents: Lock vehicles, trailers, trailer tongues, and secure equipment when unattended. Don’t leave keys in trucks or commercial mowers.
- Tracking Devices: Install tracking devices on large equipment.
- Be Alert: Pay attention to suspicious activity.
- Insurance: Review your policy and ask your insurance provider about theft prevention.
Related Articles & News:
Mr. Huber is a Georgia Registered Professional Landscape Architect. Greg is active in professional, educational, and community clubs and activities. He brings enthusiasm, passion, and expertise to every one of his program areas.
Latest posts by Greg Huber (see all)
- Equipment Theft Escalates - April 13, 2017
- Aerification: Restoring Turfgrass Carbohydrate Reserves - February 17, 2017
- Weed Scouting in Mid-Winter - February 10, 2017